Thursday, October 28, 2010

Personal Experience- HIS 1305

Since I was seven years old soccer has played a huge role in my life helping me to become who I am today.  This isn't just one personal experience that I've had, but yet a series of experiences over a large portion of my life (so far).  The people and the game impacted me so greatly and molded me into who I am.  In the beginning soccer was a game I played with my friends on Saturday mornings, but as I grew older it became my passion (my one and only love) .  I lived and breathed soccer.  Soccer didn't start impacting my life until I moved to Maryland when I was entering the 6th grade.  I made all new friends at my new school and the "cool" sport to play for girls was soccer so of course I joined in.  My friends got me interested in a  club soccer team, the MSI Thunder, I decided to tryout and I made it.  At this point in my soccer career I was simply a player, I had no position or speciality.  My coaches were Rick Schuman and his son Jonah Schuman, these men changed my life.  They noticed my talent in basketball and decided to combine it with my soccer skills by shaping me into a goalie.  I spent four days a week practicing and training, while the weekends were dedicated to games.  Mr. Schuman and his son provided me with the tools and wisdom to hone my soccer skills.  They believed in me and were always at my side with encouraging words when i wanted to give up.  The Schuman men coached the soccer team for free, gaining nothing from it which made me respect them even more.  When I entered high school I tried out for my school's girl's soccer team and made it.  At this point I was playing two teams and soccer was all I had time for.  The Schuman's continued to help me excel in soccer for both my teams, never asking for anything in return.  Mr. Schuman has been my life mentor, offering me wisdom in life and in soccer.  I consider them family because of all they have done for me.  
After a year of playing two teams I decided I wanted to join a travel team in one of the highest divisions so I did.  Three soccer teams and a high school student.  Everyday consisted of four hours of practice, one a day for high school and alternating days for my club teams along with roughly five games a week.  Throughout this whole time I continued to have the love and support of my coaches and family.  This whole experience of playing soccer has changed my life so drastically because it has shown me respect, leadership & teamwork, determination, and passion.  Respect for authority and especially for my mother who lovingly sat at every game and drove me to every practice.  Leadership and teamwork was found through the many times I was captain of my soccer teams.  Playing with so many teams showed me that you need to be aware of those around you, there feelings, thoughts, etc.  Determination because of all the games I lost, yet I still played and never gave up.  I have broken an arm, both ankles, five toes, all my fingers, suffered three concussions and tore my meniscus ligament in my knee.  Through all of hardships I never wanted to give up on soccer because it never gave up on me. Passion came from the love I found in soccer.  I had nothing I cared about more than soccer, it allowed me to make good life choices while in high school when friends can pressure you into bad things.  I have learned so much about life and myself through playing, it is my FAVORITE thing to do and always will be.  I grew up with soccer and soccer has made me who I am today.  

1 comment: